Sunday, July 1, 2007

No Stags Allowed

Sadly, I don't have much to say for this weekend. I worked all night Friday and then on Saturday too. It's strange how it wasn't that big of a deal to me to have to work on Saturday here. If I was at home, I would have had a much bigger problem with it. It was kind of nice to see my coworkers in jeans and throwing balls of paper at each other running around the office. It was a nice change from the usually feelings of incredible stress felt during the work week. On Saturday evening I went for a walk down some of the back streets behind my apartment. It's always so much more interesting to go down those little streets off of the main roads. People just sit on steps, or gather at different little shops. I saw a man with a cart leading about 10 quite large sheep down the street in almost a perfect line. I took this picture with some young boys and they were so anxious to see it on the digital screen after we took it that I wished I could have printed it out for them right there and given them a copy. Later I went to "dinner" with some of my Indian friends. We went to a place called The Beach. It turned out to be more of a club than a restaurant. The sign at the front door said "No stag/s allowed on the sand without girl/s." There was a sand floor in part of the club and apparently that is the hot spot to be and no "stags" were allowed. I thought that was hilarious. Also, the music was great. It really took me back to my clubbing days in Salt Lake when they played "The Jitter Bug." It was great. Sunday morning I went to church where they had 5 confirmations for people who had been baptized last week. That was pretty cool to see. The chapel was so full it was difficult to find a place to see. I sat next to a woman who had two little girls. They were adorable, but not very reverent. One of them kept poking me. I poked her back. After church I just relaxed, gearing up for the week ahead. This week is month end, which normally is not a pleasant time in Salt Lake, however I have been told it is significantly worse here. I'm not sure I can contain my excitement.

2 comments:

Tech Geek said...

Good luck this week with the month end fun!

Hilary said...

I'm glad you poked the little girl back, that is what I would have done.

Also, I have a family friend who is serving his mission over there, Elder Perry Kimball. If you meet him tell him the Blacks say "hi."