Sunday, July 8, 2007

What About the Bride?

My dad's friend, Mark, brought his family to India for their friend's wedding. I also know Mark from when I worked with my dad so he invited me to come to the wedding. Sunday ngiht was the wedding procession and the betrothal. It was held in the Ganjam Marriage Hall and I really have no idea what went on. When I got there I shook the groom's hand not knowing he was the groom and asked where I could find Mark. I found he and his family and we ate a noodle mixture on a leaf. It actually wasn't bad, but I was really thirsty and the only option I had was a glass of water, which was most likely not bottled water. I drank it and luckily I feel great so far. It was an arranged marriage. The groom's mother was in charge of finding a bride for her son. She worked with the mothers of girls in inviting the girls over to their house for dinner. Then the next day the mom's would talk to see if the girl had any further interest. The groom at this wedding was 35 years old and his mother was ecstatic that one of the girls finally had further interest. So they met one more time to finalize the deal and didn't see each other again. After we ate we went into the hall where the groom's parents sat on the stage and the bride's family offered them gifts. Every time a gift was offered the music was played very loud. All this time, I hadn't seen the bride yet. Then the groom walks to the temple to receive blessings. I finally saw the bride at the point, pictured in the yellow saree, but she did not go to the temple with the groom. None of these activities seemed to be about her. When the groom got back there was a procession of him coming back into the hall and then his family offered the bride's family gifts. Finally, the bride was a part of the wedding. There were a ton of people there and everything seemed very haphazard, but it was all extravagant. The actual marriage ceremony is tomorrow and will be even more extravagant. Apparently there will be a few hundred people there and you come even if you are just loosely connected to the bride or groom or anyone else who may be attending.

No comments: