Sunday, July 22, 2007

Delhi Belly - Part Deux

I had a fun day of shopping planned with my coworker Melissa for Saturday. On Friday night I ate some Pringles for dinner around 5:30 and by later in the evening my stomach was arguing with the Pringles. I thought it would be better after sleeping. On waking up Saturday morning the pain was still there. I took some antibiotics and thought that would help. We went to the airport first to pick up our tickets to New Delhi (where I am going on Wednesday to see the TajMahal - yep that's right). For some reason it takes about 14 hours to purchase a plane ticket at the airport. Standing in line was not helping my stomach situation. I was almost finished with my tickets when I realized things were going downhill very quickly for me. A young boy came up to the desk I was standing at and stood very close to me. The warmth of his breath on my arm about put me over the edge. (This is another picture of Kerala.) I searched the area for a trash can hoping that I wouldn't need to use it, but pretty certain that something was coming. The reservation lady finally handed me my ticket and hurried to a bench to sit down. The warm-breathed little boy followed me to the bench with his friend. They wanted me to sign up for something, or buy something...I'm not sure what. All I could tell them was that I was sick and couldn't talk. Melissa finished up with her line and came to sit beside me. She recently experienced the Delhi Belly to this extent herself so she knew the agony. We got back in the car and had to go back to the apartment to drop me off. I began the afternoon on my couch in the fetal position and commenced the evening in the same fetal position. If I stretched out or stood up it was agony that I had never felt before. By the next morning things were still a little shaky, but the pain had subsided enough to emerge from the fetal position I had grown so fond of. Needless to say it will be a long time before I will be able to eat Pringles again. As I've said before, avoid the Delhi Belly at all costs.

No comments: