Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Street Where You Live

I got home from work today around 1:30 a.m. I knew something was different when the driver sped over the flyover (that's what they call an overpass) and then almost right past my apartment. I almost let him speed right past my apartment because I had been at work for almost 14 hours and was lagging a little, and also I wasn't expecting to get home so quickly. It also felt strange when I opened the car door to get out and didn't need to be mindful of any other cars parked on the sidewalk or cows roaming the streets. It all felt so strange until it hit me...it was quiet. I have discovered that the streets of Bangalore are empty at 1:30 in the morning. It was almost eerie. No traffic, no cars, no car horns, no people, no scooters, no cows. I almost didn't know which way to my apartment because I was so turned around. It was pleasant. I took a photo and I'm posting it large because it was so amazing. I know it doesn't mean much to most of you who live in Salt Lake where the streets are normally like this, but let me tell you, in Bangalore, it's a sight for sore eyes.

No comments: