Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Proud to be an American

For those of you who love Indian food, I just have to say that you probably haven't been to India. I, myself enjoy Indian food...in Salt Lake. Indian food in India is a whole different story. The first few days I was here I tried to be adventurous and keep an open mind. I had had some recommendations of what was good from people at home who had been here before. I tried the food at a few different places, but came to the point in which I would have rather just not eat than eat Indian. Even just walking into the lunch room at work was enough to bring an unpleasant burning to my throat. Then my boss came into town, and because he has been here seven times and is not fond of the food himself, he was able to show me where I should eat. So now I have several select restaurants around my flat that I can get to pretty easily and the food is edible. However, almost three weeks of eating out is starting to get to me. You think when your boss hands you a corporate credit card and tells you to use it for all your meals that it will be great. But it has grown old. So last night I went to the FabMall and bought some cereal. I wanted to purchase some milk to go on my cereal, however the only "milk" in sight was in a bag and I didn't think it was a good choice. So I went with yogurt instead, which for those who know me well, know I am desperate if I'm eating yogurt. I also bought some peanut butter and bread to take a sandwich to work for lunch. So the cereal was good even with the yogurt and the sandwich was delicious. One of my coworkers asked what I had had for lunch and I told her I ate a peanut butter sandwich. She didn't know how to respond to that. I told her I was American. I didn't know what to do for dinner so I went with Pizza. I asked the guy at the front desk of my flat (pictured) to order it for me because I could just see it not working out with me trying to do it, but he didn't really understand what I was saying. He gave me the phone number and I went to my room to give it a try. I called Pizza Hut and said I wanted to place a delivery order. They took my phone number, which was just the number to my building in general, and then said they would call me back with the prices. I didn't care about the prices and they couldn't call me back because they didn't have my name or my room number. So I called the front desk guy and asked him if he would order it for me. He understood this time (obviously it's easier to understand over the phone than in person) and he said he would order me a Hawaiian pizza. He called back a bit later and asked if I could spell the kind of pizza I wanted. He thought I was saying "whyan" pizza and the pizza people didn't know what that was. It was hilarious. He ordered it for me and it was actually delivered very quickly. The service in this place is fantastic.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Hey Candice, your blog is so much fun and I have loved every one! As for the "bag milk" it is probably okay. We had it in my mission and the biggest challenge is getting it to stand up in the fridge (haha). Just make sure you smell it each time you use it because it is not pasturized but it still tastes okay. Also, try looking on the shelves, there is also milk in boxes that you don't need to put in the fridge until it is opened. Good luck with that!

Candice G. said...

Thanks for the tips Hilary. I figured the bagged milk was ok. It was more of an issue just that it was in a bag than if it was ok to drink. I will give it a try though.

Alyssa said...

Yeah, Candi...remember our boxed milk in Cancun? Too bad we didn't hold on to those extra 40 boxes or so (what were we thinking?) But seriously...yogurt AND sandwiches?! You must be getting desperate!! You'll have to let us know if there are any snacks or food you are dying for us to bring you when we come. Or for that matter, what I should bring to stay alive seeing as how I'm a MUCH pickier eater than you!

Natalie Black said...

Mmm...I love peanut butter sandwiches and pizza. I could probably live on that for two months! As long as I had a cold Diet Coke to go with it I'd be set!