Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Afternoon Fruit


I haven't really had a lot of time to do anything besides work, but Margot made some requests so I am complying. Bangalore is emerging into a metropolitan city with all of the tech businesses which have come here. The office where I work is pretty nice, and in the same area as all of the other big businesses (see picture). My flat is really close to the office, but the area is completely different. Everything seems to be under construction where I live. I have added some pictures of the view outside my living room window. A driver comes to pick me up for work and then brings me home when I'm done. They have a whole network of drivers who transfer the employees if they come to work and leave at odd times. You just go to the basement and the organizer of the drivers yells a cab number at you and you go get in the cab. It's quite the process. Here's a picture of me inside my cab for tonight. The office environment is pretty similar to Salt Lake except that everyone starts work late in the day and stays late in the night. Also, at 4:30 every afternoon a guy with a cart goes around the office and drops plates of fruit in different locations. It's gone within seconds. I love it. It's hilarious. I'm going to campaign for it in the Salt Lake office. The office has a cafeteria that is open 24 hours a day. I have only eaten there once, and it was ok. As a visitor I get free coupons so I don't have to pay, which is nice. The driving and traffic is crazy here. I can see why they don't let people who are not from here drive. There are no lines on the road; you just drive where you can and use your horn a lot. I'm looking forward to the weekend when I will actually get to see some things besides my apartment and the office.

4 comments:

Tech Geek said...

Thanks for complying, Candi. ;-)

jess said...

throw some fruit in a bag and sent it to us!

Globe Trecker said...

Keep up the blog, this is fun to read and live vicariously in India through you:)

Natalie Black said...

Great pics! Keep posting - I check it every day. :)